How to setup an Infantry Assault...

Werewolf

See subject - think Question.

I'd like to setup a classic mechanized infantry platoon assault tactic. The most simple version taught back in the 70's.

The platoon vehicles with squads mounted move at high speed to the drop off point. Infantry disembarks and assault immediately continues with the walking grunts beside or slightly behind the the platoon vehicles moving to the objective.

If tanks are available (what I was in) then we were always a bit ahead of the infantry vehicles and walking grunts. Practiced this multiple times at Grafenwoehr.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get that to work in SB Pro 3.

I setup an assault route for the platoon with infantry mounted. At the dismount point I create another assault route leading to the objective.

I've tried ordering the infantry to dismount at the dismount point (the waypoint) but the grunts won't walk/run forward with their mounts when the vehicles move out. I've tried ordering the infantry to dismount on the route. That doesn't work either.

For a human player - no big deal. Once the infantry is dismounted just give the units their own assault routes and continue on.

But for an AI controlled unit it's a no go.

I seem to remember in SB1 all it took was switching to an engage order and slow speed and the infantry would auto move with the vehicles. Doesn't work with SB3.

So what am I doing wrong? How do I make the infantry dismount and assault with their mounts? Or is it just not possible?

Short version:

Used to work but this linkage was lost in a recent update.

So previously you had dismounts linked to vehicles so what you experienced in SB 1 and up to SB 2.x would work.

The down side was that dismounts from destroyed vehicle A would not load into empty vehicle B and you couldn’t change the passenger type.

Now you can pick up stragglers and have different types of passengers, but that “simple” option of giving the unit a set command and both the vehicle and passengers following it, went away.

So its now more complex with you needing to give vehicles and dismounts routes at the dismount point.

“Infantry improvements” are flagged for the next upgrade - if some overall fix where the earlier combined control is regained while still retaining the current flexibility, is included in that - we’ll just have to wait and see.

There are a few threads on “mechanised Infantry”, “dismounts”, and similar titles, that might help with the background.

For example:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=22001

Long version:

I’ll try to write something up this weekend.

Edited by Gibsonm

I'm pretty sure that you could script what you are looking for, although it would take a lot of work to do it. I'm thinking you could use multiple thin regions and then have your vehicles move using references for when the infantry reaches the various regions. That way the infantry would always be in front of their PC's.

Thanks...

Disappointing though.

It sounds like what you are saying is that for a human player once the infantry dismounts you just build new routes for them but that the OPFOR cannot be scripted to do what I wanted to do. Is that correct or did I miss something?

You need to either:

1. Lock in the dismount location and script one assault from there, or

2. Plot multiple regions/conditions/events and have masses of "dismount if ..." type commands and subsequent assault commands.

Edited by Gibsonm

• 4 months later...

I guess its been fixed hey, when i give a PC an engage/assault route with a troops dismount order on the waypoint, and an engage/assault route from there, the inf dismounts and continues (will move in front of PC if route is 'slow' )

ie; order chain is: engage/troops dismount/engage slow

Confirmed. Its been fixed. Thought a weird thing is that if tactics are Assault or Engage (while route speed is slow) - Once stamina on infantry runs out, A squad continues crawling (proceeds very slowly) and B squad continues walking (aprox 5 times faster than A squad.) 

Well... Good thing is that when there is enemy sighted infantry will dug down and crawl anyway. Thus likely to stay still on firefigth and when ifv is clearing hot targets. Gaining some stamina. And aren't engage and assault used when enemy is known to be around. So hopefully this is just cosmetic problem for now. 

Other weird things are that if I remember correctly all infantry move along route... Towards waypoint. - meaning that in the end all infantry of a platoon ends up one huge pile at exactly where waypoint is. If distance is far enough. Unless that is fixed as well. Not sure if it was ever reported.