The 4.265 Bundle Installer Ate My Map Packages / how to get them back

stormrider_sp

• Members

I don't know. If you remember the location and they aren't in it anymore, I suppose the uninstaller removed them summarily (sorry). In that case they need to be reinstalled.

If they still are in the old location, use the Options...File paths menu to guide Steel Beasts to where to find them. In that case, maybe something got messed up during the installation process.

If you don't remember where you installed them, search for a folder name " *packages*. " and file size ginormous, created last year. The Windows File Explorer should be able to locate it. Or use WinDirStat (a free software tool) to figure out what's using up large chunks of your harddisk space.

<sigh> Here's the folder, with basically three maps.

I mean, the Bergen map is good. Very good. Had some great battles in it already. But I have a ton (English measurement, not metric) of scenarios with the old maps.

Can ya help me get that big ginormous file created last year?

2021-06-20.png

Now you know why they call me Fritz. Everything breaks.

Edited by iamfritz

• Members

What happened?

It seems like the bundle installer, as good as it is, decides to uninstall everything if the version for the simple update is not 4.259 (maybe it was 4.250 in your case). Why it then didn't reinstall the map packages I can't say. The three basic maps (default, flat, and hmap) were added by the Steel Beasts installer. The Bergen map was not uninstalled because you downloaded it separately from the map server (it was never part of the general map packages distribution).

At least, this is my working theory about "what happened".

What to do?

Option 1 would be to run the bundle installer again and to make sure that the map packages are selected among the installation options. You might also want to set the checkmark to retain the installation files so you don't have to re-download them again in a similar situation in the future.

Option 2 is to go for the "more manual" installation method that gives you better control, but requires a minimum of mental alertness during the installation process. It's basically what's described in the Release Notes about the manual installation. Basically, download all the map packages installer files (...1A.rar, ...1B.rar, ..., ...3C.rar, and the map packages installer program executable; get them from https://www.eSimGames.com/Downloads.htm) into a common, temporary folder (you could later burn this to a set of three DVDs, a BluRay disk, or maybe copy it on a 16GByte USB stick). Then you run the installer executable and give it the path shown in your screenshot ("D:\ProgramData\eSim Games\Steel Beasts\maps\packages"), and it'll add the missing map packages back in.

• Administrators

The bundle installer does not do anything with the maps package because it has never changed.  If you tick the checkbox for it, and it sees it is already installed, it will say it's up to date and do nothing.  

What has appeared to happen is that the maps package was uninstalled from programs and features, and it's gone now.  What you have there right now is what the Pro PE installer has put there.  The Bergen map was added after the maps package was done, so it was decided to put it in with the Pro PE installer so folks don't have to deal with a huge download to get it.

Run the bundle installer, and tick the boxes for the maps package, and save the installer files at the bottom and run it.  When it asks what path to put the files in, make sure its pointed to the path in your screenshot above.  

• Members

...which is why we recommend keeping the installation files either on your harddisk, or on some backup medium such as a USB stick. Also, it's the reason why we made these separate installers. In the past, whenever there was a patch you had to download the same map files time and again. With the growth in resolution and hence file size, this was becoming very inefficient and a waste of time for everybody.