German AFVs

tankgirl72

Just curious on a few things,

So I know the Marder got equipped with the Milan next to the Commanders hatch starting with the A2 so why is it missing from the version in game?

Also are there any plans to ever add the wiesel to the sim? I love those little tankettes. I am surprised its never been added since they are still used and come in many versions.

34 minutes ago, tankgirl72 said:

So I know the Marder got equipped with the Milan next to the Commanders hatch starting with the A2 so why is it missing from the version in game?

Also are there any plans to ever add the wiesel to the sim? I love those little tankettes. I am surprised its never been added since they are still used and come in many versions.

Main driver of vehicle adaptation in steelbeasts is professional customers demand.

There has not been such demand for these features.

Esim is able to add a vehicle or two on their own....but there where others types higher on the priority list then Marder an Wiesel

2 hours ago, tankgirl72 said:

There is a Wiesel with TOW as shown here in the Anti Tank category:

Its just not playable.

• Members

I'd love to add the Wisel 20mm MK; sadly, we never found the time for it. Also, doctrinally it was a bit harder to justify as long as SB Pro was a vehicle-centric ground simulation since the Wisel platform is designated as a "weapons carrier" to provide mobile fire support for light infantry (paratroopers, mostly). So, you wouldn't normally see it fighting other IFVs, but rather in the fire support role for a type of combat that Steel Beasts currently does not simulate in an optimal way.

The Milan on Marder ... it's complicated. I decided that we'd postpone that development until we have a code base that's more flexible. The SB V1 ...V4 code architecture was devised when we had little idea in which direction Steel Beasts would develop, and for how long. After we made the decision to enter the military training market (2002) I had always hoped for a 25+ year future, but it was very uncertain. Now that we can be relatively certain about the market in which we're operating, we are developing a new code architecture that will ensure that this software can be developed for decades to come, giving us more flexibility and ease of code maintenance at the same time, and certain performance bonuses.

Hopefully, that will then also free up the time for small side jobs such as adding a dismountable missile launcher half of the vehicles in a platoon - which currently would be a big side job.

9 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

Now that we can be relatively certain about the market in which we're operating, we are developing a new code architecture that will ensure that this software can be developed for decades to come, giving us more flexibility and ease of code maintenance at the same time, and certain performance bonuses.

I assume that new code architecture will be V5, is that correct?

Thanks for the clarifications. I had played a few engagements involving 2-3 troops of Marders and encountered a lot of BMPs which have AT capability as well as several T-72s. I ended up losing most my Marders because they are lacking the AT capability. I had to make up for that with a few Milan teams but still ended up losing the battle which was certainly not even battles or in my favor from the start. Look forward to version 5 where we may have these controllable.

Sad about the Wiesels not making it in though. Would be fun driving those around as there is a Tow/Milan equipped version as well as the 20mm.

German-Wiesel-Armoured-Weapons-Carrier-(AWC)-fitted-with-a-BGM-71-TOW-anti-tank-missile-launcher-on-Exercise-TRIDENT-JUNCTURE-2018-Image-ID-45166226-CREDIT-Crown-Copyright.jpg

img_38-1.jpg

Edited by tankgirl72

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 7:46 PM, Gibsonm said:

I guess you didn't read my post above?

I read it, but as you had stated ,we cannot control them so I assume they would have to be dropped in by editor and controlled by AI or given commands from the map screen. Its certainly better than nothing. 🙂

22 hours ago, tankgirl72 said:

I read it, but as you had stated ,we cannot control them so I assume they would have to be dropped in by editor and controlled by AI or given commands from the map screen. Its certainly better than nothing. 🙂

AI units can be driven around in external view IIRC. Either way you should be giving orders to units via map screen unless you're doing gunnery IMO.

1 hour ago, Arch said:

AI units can be driven around in external view IIRC. Either way you should be giving orders to units via map screen unless you're doing gunnery IMO.

...or you are doing a MP game , or you are jumping into a gunners seat from time to time in s SP game...

• Members
3 hours ago, Arch said:

Either way you should be giving orders to units via map screen unless you're doing gunnery IMO.

We've gone to great lengths to implement other command input options than the map screen - the command interface from the external observer's position, and the bird's eye view - to allow you to give commands while assessing the "ground truth" with a direct view to the combat situation. Note that the map screen deliberately omits details (no map is ever completely up-to-date), and updates the positions of units with a delay (the delay is generously short; that's marked for change).

11 hours ago, Grenny said:

...or you are doing a MP game , or you are jumping into a gunners seat from time to time in s SP game...

Yes this is what I do most. I really like to experience the action so I will take command of a vehicle and jump to the map from time to time to issue orders or triggers.

Please also note that the original post was not an attack on the game in any way. I was simply curious. I am very happy with the sim.

Edited by tankgirl72

• Members
4 hours ago, tankgirl72 said:

Please also note that the original post was not an attack on the game in any way.

Even if it was (and I didn't perceive it that way), our egos aren't so frail that they couldn't handle criticism. :)

On 2/25/2024 at 11:13 AM, Arch said:

How is this done?I thought it was stopped in prev upgrades?Dp you mean computer controlled?

Edited by mpow66m

Yes.  If you set them up as player owned during the scenario's creation you can still jump to them when playing the scenario.  Or you could make them computer owned until a trigger is activated to give ownership over to a player.

Edited by TSe419E
Edited to reflect Ssnake's clarification.

• Members

Computer-owned units cannot be player-controlled, not even if you're in test mode.

Computer-controlled is any unit not under the direct command of a human player. E.g. from the external observer's position, the unit would be in a hybrid state of being computer-controlled while the player gives no commands, but (partially) human-controlled while the user gives direct commands to this unit.