I don't know if this is a bug, or a layer 8 issue.

Whenever I make routes on the map, regardless of speed or tactics, the AI drivers move at a snail's pace. I'm playing as TC, and this happens in multiple scenarios. It makes that role nearly unplayable, because I end up having to drive myself. This also happened in co-op. Any ideas? 

I wasn't sure where to post this, because I don't even know if it's a bug. I'll post a video if necessary.

Any help/leads would be appreciated.

Edited by abstract_construct

Single vehicle or platoon? 

If a vehicle in a platoon gets stuck or slowed (woods, water, other obstacle) the rest of the platoon will creep along their route until the stuck vehicle frees itself or is eventually left behind.

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies guys, I did not expect it! Ok so going by the replies, I think Splash may be on to something.

• Day, or night driving?  Day
  • If night, vehicles equipped with NVGs? N/A
  • If yes, or daytime, what kind of roads? Seems like a paved road.
  • Which version of SB Pro PE, 4.2? 4.0? 3.0? The most recent, 4259
  • Name/UID of the map (package)? sweden1 [autocreated base] from the "Platoon in Attack" scenario.
  • Do you get equally slow driving offroad? No. No we were really moving at a crawl, nothing had been this slow before.

Apologies if I'm missing a few more things, I'm very new here. As I said previously, I believe Splash is correct. It seems that a friendly tank doesn't spawn correctly, or is stuck at the beginning of the map, slowing my tank down to a crawl when using the AI routes. I am in-game right now with my friend, testing it out.

I'm not sure if this is a scenario that you are building or if you are playing one created by someone else (sorry just read "Platoon in Attack").

If you are creating it (or its not password protected) try running it in the Mission Editor which provides a "test" function where you can test, move the vehicle, test again as required.

Certainly if its a platoon and the lead vehicle is on a road, but the others are deep in the woods, the one of the road will slow to maintain formation with the ones in the forest (or other slow going).

If you can use the test function, try putting the platoon in column on the road and see if things change?

If its night, vehicles travel slower than day time, but this doesn't seem to apply here, based on your answer above.

Also if they have been ordered to "scout" and there is enemy nearby (or a minefield) they will slow down as well.

Edited by Gibsonm

OK from my playing of this, it starts in open ground.

Is that where the slow down is happening?

Or is it later when you work your way forward through the farm on the hill, or beyond where the forests start to close in, either side of the main road?

Edited by Gibsonm

• Administrators

When setting up a bridge crossing, be sure to separate your platoons by some distance to make sure they are not jumbled up and out of order.  Get each platoon into column formation well before the bridge, then send them across one platoon at a time.  

It's sounding like everything is driving slowly because a vehicle in your platoon is still stuck behind the bridge, and the rest of the platoon is waiting for it to catch up.   Split up the platoon in the map to see where it is.  

15 minutes ago, abstract_construct said:

It started right after getting past the bridge, but then we realized that our platoon partner wasn't anywhere near us.

Ah my mistake, I thought you were referring to "Tank Platoon in Attack" so I'm not tracking a bridge.

However if it happened "right after getting past the bridge" It maybe a question of formations.

If the Platoon is in 'wedge" and you start to cross a bridge there will be disruption as the Platoon tries to sort out the best way to cross the bridge, while maintaining the formation you have specified.

Crossing a bridge is usually done in "column" and other formations can impose delays, esp. as the out vehicles try to work out what you want them to do.

• Members

When testing a scenario (=running it from within the Mission Editor via the green Test button) you can switch the map screen to show individual vehicles. Zoom in on your platoon when it's "crawling". This should very quickly identify if a single vehicle is stuck somewhere or have other problems staying in formation.

This is indeed the most likely explanation.

Most other explanations seem to have been ruled out by your answers. The one thing I could think of is if your platoon was part of a task force, and there were dismounted elements while the task force was given a formation move order. But you haven't mentioned anything of the sort, so it appears unlikely.