Map Request Thread

Mogwa

Use this thread to request maps of areas not included in SB. There is no guarantee that someone will immediately start the map you want, but as they like to say, at least "its on the list."

You should include the relevant information for the map. This includes the lat/long info for the southwest corner of the map. If you dont know this info then the next best course of action would be a accurate description the mapmaker can use to locate the area. A Google Earth placemark may be helpful too. If someone starts making your map they will probably get in touch with you if they need more info.

Remember the people who can make these maps are doing this on their own time, this isnt their job. It could be quite some time before your map gets made.

Also, I cannot make height maps. I just started the request thread. Im pretty sure the guys that can make maps will add to this thread as required.

HTH,

Mog

Edited by Mogwa

Dark, can you do a height map of the area around Kandahar Airfield? I think I sent you the DTED data already, I just forgot about it until this topic came up.

Also, people should realize that they'll likely just be getting a height map. All the woods, roads, buildings etc, will have to be created seperately by those making the request. After you've done it once, you probably won't want to do it again. :wink:

Dark, can you do a height map of the area around Kandahar Airfield? I think I sent you the DTED data already, I just forgot about it until this topic came up.

Also, people should realize that they'll likely just be getting a height map. All the woods, roads, buildings etc, will have to be created seperately by those making the request. After you've done it once, you probably won't want to do it again. :wink:

I'm also available for map making in my spare time.:)

Had also forgotten about it!.

I can do more than just the heightmap. Depends on the world region. For the US there is a lot of free data available, this includes shape data (roads, rail etc) and land coverage. From these 2 data types I can make a rough terrain map and the road network too. For non US it gets trickier, I can make a basic terrain map from the ETM+ (Landsat) data but the only free shape data available is 1:1000000 which is frankly CRAP!. For Australia there is 1:50k data readily and freely available. If someone wanted to digitize roads in Google earth I can also import that. The only thing I'm not willing to do is lots of digitizing myself. Its an A**hole of a job and usually involves moments of insanity.

From my perspective here is what I would need to make a basic map.

• South west corner either as Lat/Long or as a Google earth marker.
  • Dimensions of the map required (SB allows sizes in 2km increments from 12km to 120km per side, maps over 80km though are not easy to deal with).
  • Patience, It will take me a while to get all the data together.
  • Possibly an occasional reminder as I usually have a few irons in the fire at any one time.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

It's problematic because the official map data are copyright protected by the National Danish Topographic Authority (or whatever their name is). The army has a license to use the map data free of charge, but the license ends right there. For their own use only.

We tried to get the island of Bornholm once, but it turned out to be way too costly for us.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm humbly requesting a particular heightmap refers to the brazilian army base of Santa Maria and region. The region is of strategical importance to Brazil for it is the hub of the main roads coming from Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, and also because it is the brazilian "Pampas", perfect tank country.

South: 31.0001388888889

West: 55.0001388888889

North: 28.9998611111111

East: 51.9998611111111

If that's just too big, then the area closer to the base would be just fine:

NE corner:

X 274856.367214684

Y 6737479.55199998

SW corner:

X 174856.367214684

Y 6637479.55199998

Cheers

I think both the coordinates you gave are too big. How about you give me a lat long where you want it centered and I'll have a look at conceivable sizes.

The army base of Santa Maria is located about 2/3 to North East of the overall area of interest which covers the 3 main roads coming from Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. If you look at the pictures attached to this message, you will see where the base is located and the overall area.

56e83cb5ac98b_Screenshot2012-02-01at7.52

56e83cb5ac98b_Screenshot2012-02-01at7.52